About your rent

How can I keep track of when my rent is due?

You can download and print our rents card, so you no longer have to forget when your rent is due out.

How can I pay my Rent?

  • Rent is payable on the Monday of each week
  • you can arrange to pay this fortnightly or monthly if you would prefer. 
  • payments are required in advance

You can pay your rent via the following methods:

You can pay your rent online

You can pay online  using your debit card by using our online form.

You will need your Debit Card and account details to hand.

Pay by Direct Debit 

You can request to pay your rent by Direct Debit.
Payment will then be collected direct from your bank account on the 1st or 15th of each month.

Call us on 03450 455 216 and ask for a Direct Debit instruction to be sent to you.

Pay by Debit Card/Credit Card

You can pay your rent over the phone on our 24-hour payment line, using your Debit Card/Credit Card.

To do this call 03450 455218.

You will need your Debit Card/Credit Card and rent reference number to hand.

Pay at the Post Office or PayPoint Outlet

You can make payments at any Post Office or PayPoint outlet using a plastic payment card.

Contact us on 03450 455 216 if you would like a payment card to be sent to you.

Find your nearest branch using the Post Office branch locator.

Payment in Person

Payment in person by cash, debit or credit card may be made at the offices of:
Cambridge City Council,
Mandela House,
Regent Street,

Monday to Friday 10am to 4pm. 

There is no longer a facility to accept cash payments at our Cambourne office.

Other ways to pay your rent

If you wish to pay by Standing Order, Telephone or Internet Banking, our bank details are as follows:

Sort Code: 20-17-68
Account Number: 30466441
Account Name: Rent BACS Account
Bank: Barclays

  • You must remember to quote your tenancy reference number with every payment. 
  • Also you should allow 3-4 days for the payment to reach your account.

REMEMBER - Contact us as soon as there is a problem.

Help and advice

South Cambridgeshire District Council
Rents - Telephone: 03450 455 216
Housing Benefit - Telephone: 03450 450 061
Housing Advice - Telephone: 01954 713055

Free & Independent Advice
Cambridge Citizen's Advice Bureau - Telephone: 01223 22260
National Debtline - Telephone: 0808 808 4000
Payplan - Telephone: 0800 917 7823

Housing Benefit

If you are on a low income you may be entitled to claim Housing Benefit to help pay your rent, even if your are in full time employment.

To find out more, and to request an application form, please contact the Benefits team on 03450 450 061.

If you need help in completing the form, we may be able to arrange for someone to visit you in
your home.

It is important that you make any claim for Housing Benefit as soon as possible.

Housing Benefit will usually be paid from the Monday after your form is received.

If you submit your form late you can ask for backdated Housing Benefit to be considered, although this would only happen if you could provide 'good cause' for not submitting your claim sooner.

Difficulties Paying Rent

Paying your rent is part of the legally binding contract that is your tenancy agreement.

You must pay your rent and keep your account up to date at all times.

If you do not pay your rent you are breaking the terms of your tenancy agreement.

We understand that from time-to-time people do experience difficulties that can affect their finances. If for any reason you are finding it difficult to pay your rent, you should contact us immediately.

We can provide help and advice, and by contacting us early and working with us to resolve any issues, you may prevent action being taken against you.

Rent Arrears

If you fall behind with your rent, we will write to you to ask you to bring your payments up to date. Do not ignore these letters.

If you do not pay the arrears in full, or contact us to make a repayment arrangement, legal action will be taken to recover the money owed.

We may begin the first stage of legal action when you are four weeks in arrears.

What if I receive a Notice of Seeking Possession?

This is a legal notice advising that the Council intends to issue Court proceedings against you.

You will be given 28 days to clear the balance in full.

If you receive a Notice of Seeking Possession you must contact the Rent Office on 03450 455 216 to advise when the arrears will be paid.

If you do not contact us, and you do not pay your arrears or your arrears increase, you will be issued with a court summons.

What if I receive a Court Summons?

If you receive a Court Summons, you will be given a date and time when you must appear before the Judge at the County Court.

You should contact the Rent Recovery Officer on (01954) 713327 to make any offer of payment.

If you clear the amount that you owe before the Court date, you will not need to attend.

The District Judge will decide if you can stay in the property, and how much you should pay. The Judge can choose to:

Adjourn the hearing

This means that the Judge does not make any Order, and you are given a chance to clear your arrears first.

If you do not pay, the Council can reapply to the Court to make an Order.

Make a Possession Order

This means that you must move out of the property and give the keys back to the Council, within a set period of time.

You will still need to pay back the money you owe.

If you do not move out and return the keys to the property, you will be served with an Eviction Warrant.

Make a suspended Possession Order

This means that you can stay living in the property as long as you pay your rent, plus an amount towards your arrears.

If you do not make payments as agreed in this Order without a further hearing an eviction warrant will be issued.

What if I receive an Eviction Warrant?

If you receive an Eviction Warrant, you will be given a date and time of when the Court Bailiff will attend the property and the locks will be changed.

If you pay the arrears in full before this date, the eviction will be cancelled.

If you are unable to do this, you will need to go to the County Court and ask for a form to submit an application to suspend the eviction.

You will be given a further hearing where you can ask the District Judge to suspend the eviction.

You will need to advise the Court why you have not kept to the terms of the previous Court Order. The District Judge may stop the eviction if you agree to make payments to your arrears.

They could also dismiss your application and the order that the eviction should go ahead.

Help and advice

South Cambridgeshire District Council
Rents - Telephone: 03450 455 216
Housing Benefit - Telephone: 03450 450 061
Housing Advice - Telephone: 01954 713055

Free & Independent Advice
Cambridge Citizen's Advice Bureau - Telephone: 01223 22260
National Debtline - Telephone: 0808 808 4000
Payplan - Telephone: 0800 917 7823

Contact Details